“The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page.” -St. Augustine
Who am I?
My name is Jessie (aka Red, even in “real life”) and I love to travel, whether it’s overseas or locally around town. However, I have barely traveled in comparison to every other “travel blogger” out there, and I consider myself both a “newbie” and a “rookie” when it comes to adventuring overseas.
I grew up in a very small town up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, raised by my “world traveler” parents. Both of them had traveled the world throughout their careers as merchant marines before throwing in the towel and choosing to settle down in New England to raise a family. Despite seeing the world, we never traveled abroad as a family (they were affected by the financial downfall many middle class Americans have faced in the past several years), with the exception of being fortunate enough to travel across the U.S and visit family in California. Yet my curiosity of their adventures was the birth of my wanderlust and travel bug.
With a few disappointing terminations of planned travels, I was finally able to travel abroad in college, participating in a “volunteer tourism” service trip to Nicaragua, and since then, my lust for travel has continued to grow!
With my host family in La Paz, Nicaragua in 2012. The trip that started them all!
I have done most of my travelling during my adult life. So far, I have traveled to Nicaragua (twice), been to Eastern China (Beijing and Shanghai), Canada three times (twice in Montreal and once in Quebec City), Iceland, Peru, New Zealand, Australia, and 13 of the 50 United States (NH, ME, VT, MA, CT, NY, PA, NC, FL, TN, NJ, IL, and CA). But I am no longer letting finances completely prevent me from embarking on future travels! While I have not decided (yet) to turn traveling into a full-time career, I believe you can balance either school or a 9-5 career with an interest and desire to see the world!
Other Fun Facts About Me:
- My goal is to visit all 7 continents before I turn 30 (right now I have Africa and Antarctica left to visit).
- I have a Master’s in Public Health and my Bachelor’s degree in Health Education and Psychology.
- I’ve worked in “non-traditional” jobs, including working on a train and community integration with adults with severe mental illness.
- I’ve studied Spanish for 4 years and have traveled to two Spanish-speaking countries, but still consider myself a beginner with the language.
- I have been zip-lining 3 times, skydiving once, and have climbed/walked the Auckland Sky Tower and Sydney Harbor Bridge.
- I have a hummingbird tattoo and am hoping to get a travel-themed one in the future (as cliche as it may be)!
- I am a vegetarian/pescatarian working on transitioning into a vegan diet and lifestyle.
- I love chai tea and bubble tea (especially chai bubble tea!).
- I am a natural redhead (and yes, I do have a soul!).
What Is Lady Red Travel?
Lady Red Travel is a travel blog I created in 2015, as a creative outlet to share my travel experiences with, as well as a stress-reliever from graduate school. Creating this blog has inspired me to pursue my dream of traveling the world more often (since writing this blog, I have now been to Iceland, Canada, Peru, New Zealand, and Australia).
Today, I still blog solely as a hobby and only travel “part-time”. Someday, I hope to do more freelance work with the blog. However, I will continue to pursue a travel blog where I can travel as often as possible, while still maintaining a permanent home address where I can come home to my husband and kitties.
Lady Red Travel Blog is for audiences of all ages (especially millennials) to inspire travel and adventure on a budget.
Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ladyredtravel/
I’m also on Instagram @ ladyredtravel
You can also email me at: email@example.com
Jumping into a pool with my bridesmaid dress on during my sister’s wedding sums me up in a nutshell. 😉