“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
Who am I?
My name is Jessie (aka Red, even in “real life”) and I love to travel, whether it’s overseas or locally around town. I grew up in a very small town up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, raised by my “world traveler” parents. Both of them had traveled the world throughout their careers as merchant marines before throwing in the towel and choosing to settle down in New England to raise a family. Despite them having seen the world, we never traveled abroad as a family. Growing up, we had a handful of domestic adventures, visiting family in California and traveling a few times to Tennessee.
With a few disappointing terminations of planned travels and failed study abroad attempts, I was finally able to travel abroad in college, participating in a “volunteer tourism” service trip to Nicaragua. Since then, my lust for travel has continued to grow!
With my host family in La Paz, Nicaragua in 2012. The trip that started them all!
I have done most of my travelling during my adult life. So far, I have traveled to 15 countries and 13 of the 50 United States. But I am no longer letting finances completely prevent me from embarking on future travels! While I have not decided (yet) to turn traveling into a full-time career, I believe you can balance either school or a 9-5 career with an interest and desire to see the world!
Other Fun Facts About Me:
- My goal is to visit all 7 continents by 30 years old (I just have Antarctica left to visit).
- I have a Master’s in Public Health and my Bachelor’s degree in Health Education and Psychology. I’m currently debating a second master’s degree in global studies in order to pursue a career in humanitarian work.
- I’ve studied Spanish for several years, but still consider myself a beginner with the language. I’ve also picked up learning Swahili as a hobby.
- I have been zip-lining 3 times, skydiving once, and have climbed/walked the Auckland Sky Tower and Sydney Harbor Bridge.
- I have 2 tattoos and am hoping to get a travel-themed one in the future (as cliche as it may be)!
- I am a vegetarian/pescatarian who often enjoys eating and cooking vegan meals.
- I love chai tea and bubble tea (especially chai bubble tea!).
- I am a natural redhead (and yes, I do have a soul!).
What Is Lady Red Travel?
Lady Red Travel is a travel blog I created in 2015, as a creative outlet to share my travel experiences with, as well as a stress-reliever from graduate school. Creating this blog has inspired me to pursue my dream of traveling the world more often.
Today, I still blog solely as a hobby and only travel “part-time”. Someday, I hope to do more freelance work with the blog. However, I will continue to pursue a travel blog where I can travel as often as possible, while still maintaining a permanent home address where I can come home to my husband and kitties.
Lady Red Travel Blog is for audiences of all ages (especially millennials) to inspire travel and adventure on a budget.
Find me on Instagram @ ladyredtravel
Jumping into a pool with my bridesmaid dress on during my sister’s wedding sums me up in a nutshell. 😉